pet peeve: when people try to parent my kid(s) when I'm right there--especially if they try to do it while/right after I'm doing it!
My rule: if my kid is about to hurt herself & I don't see what's going on, please stop her. But if she is just doing something that annoys you, let it go & let me deal with it. If I don't see her doing something naughty, please tell me & let me discipline her. I'm her mom, it's my job & I take responsibility for my kids. In fact, it's best if you always wait to see if I'm going to step in before you try to parent my kids. I'll try to do the same for you.
I think it's important to remember that not everyone's parenting styles are the same--especially when it comes to discipline. At our house we have rules and we choose our battles. We are not, by any means, perfect parents (do those even exist?), but we've thought about, talked about, and prayed long & hard about how to raise our children. The rules we've set work for our family & we don't expect everyone else to live by them (unless they are in our home, in our care). We often reevaluate our strategies, methods, and rules & adjust as necessary.
We love our kids & are constantly aware of our responsibility to as parents to be attentive, loving, and consistent. We make our family the priority & feel it's important for our kids to know they are important-- more important than whatever's on TV, wherever we want/need to go, and whoever is on the phone. We believe our kids are not the responsibility of the school system, church, society, or even our extended family to raise: God gave them to us for a reason, and they are our blessings.
I get frustrated when friends or family treat my girls as insignificant, or as less of a priority than things that are truly insignificant... Also, when they show blatant disrespect for my girls or the boundaries they know I've set for my girls. I try to be careful about the types of people I expose my children to (people who are rude, lack manners, disrespect their elders, swear, etc), limiting time with friends or family who fall into those categories.
I admit I also have certain expectations. i.e. if you invite us over, I expect to be treated like a guest (with respect). It breaks my heart when one of my sweet kids asks why certain people didn't want to play with them, why they were ignored, or why someone said or did mean/rude things to them--ESPECIALLY when that person is an adult!
Again, I know not everyone has the same viewpoint as me... but there are such things as common courtesy, consideration, and thoughtfulness (and remembering the age of kids in the room and adjusting the conversational & other audible content appropriately).
There are often times I get frustrated with other people's children, too, but I have to remind myself I'm not their mother. I'm not responsible for their behavior. I try to give other parents a chance to do their job before I step into a situation with kids. And I desire the same respect in return.
The end.
10.11.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment